Coconut Conch Chowder Recipe
- 1 pound conch meat
- 1/4 cup margarine, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups fish stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
step 1: Place conch meat in a pot with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes. Drain, and finely chop in a food processor.
step 2: Melt 2 tablespoons margarine in a skillet over medium heat, and mix in the green onions, carrot, celery, sweet potato, red pepper, and corn. Cook and stir 5 minutes.
step 3: Melt remaining 2 tablespoons margarine in a large pot, and whisk in the flour to create a roux. Pour in the half and half, coconut milk, and fish stock. Mix in the ginger, and season with salt and pepper. Stir the conch and vegetables into the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes. Mix in the hot sauce and cilantro. Continue cooking 15 minutes, or to desired consistency.