Coconut Sevai (Rice Noodles) Recipe
- 14 ounces rice noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seed
- 2 dried red chile peppers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown lentils
- 4 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 3/4 cup shredded or flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup water
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
step 1: Place noodles in a medium size pot and add water, just to cover. Add salt and bring to a boil. After boiling 1 to 2 minutes, transfer noodles to a colander and let cold water run through it for about 3 seconds. Drain and set aside.
step 2: Heat oil in a wok; when warm add mustard seed, chile peppers and lentils. Stir-fry until lentils start getting light brown, then add peanuts and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Stir in coconut and fry it until light brown; add cooked noodles and 1/4 cup water. Keep stirring all together over heat until well mixed, 10 to 20 seconds. Garnish with cilantro and serve.