Coleslaw with Hot Caraway Vinaigrette Recipe
- 2 small red onions
- 6 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 6 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 5 carrots, peeled and grated
- 5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- salt to taste
step 1: Peel the onions and half lengthwise. Thinly slice onion halves. Place onion in a bowl of ice water, and let soak for 5 minutes. Drain well in colander.
step 2: In a large heatproof bowl, toss together the green and red cabbage, onion, carrot and vinegar.
step 3: In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over moderate heat until it is hot but not smoking. Add the caraway and mustard seeds, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 3 minutes, or until the mustard seeds stop popping. Drizzle the hot oil mixture immediately over the cabbage mixture and toss the coleslaw well. Add salt to taste and toss again.