Colorful Pepper Steak Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds beef top round or sirloin steak, 3/4 to 1 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into 3/4 inch-wide strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar, if desired
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
step 1: Trim excess fat from beef. Cut beef into 2x1/4-inch strips. (Beef is easier to cut if partially frozen, about 1 hour.)
step 2: Heat oil in wok or 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef in oil about 5 minutes, turning frequently, until brown.
step 3: Stir in water, onion, garlic and gingerroot. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes for round steak, 5 to 8 minutes for sirloin steak, adding bell peppers during last 5 minutes of simmering, until beef is tender and peppers are crisp-tender.
step 4: Mix cornstarch, sugar and soy sauce; stir into beef mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
step 5: Cut each tomato into 8 wedges and place on beef mixture. Cover and cook over low heat about 3 minutes or just until tomatoes are heated through. Serve with rice.