Cornucopia Chili Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups dry kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups dried pinto beans
- 9 cups water
- 24 ounces textured vegetable protein
- 3 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 (10 ounce) cans chile sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 3 (29 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
step 1: Place beans in a large saucepan, and cover with water. Soak overnight in the refrigerator. Drain, and return to pan. Add 9 cups water; cook for 1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
step 2: Meanwhile, mix textured vegetable protein and boiling water together in a large bowl. Set aside.
step 3: In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until soft and translucent.
step 4: In a large stock pot, combine beans, textured vegetable protein, onions, spices, salt, honey, molasses, chili sauce, tomato puree, and diced tomatoes. Stir to mix well. Simmer, stirring often for at least 1 hour.