Cream of Asparagus Soup I Recipe
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
step 1: Melt butter or margarine in a heavy cooking pot. Add onions and chopped celery; saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour, mixing well. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Do not burn, or let it go lumpy. Add water, chicken broth, and chicken soup base; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil. Add diced potatoes and chopped asparagus. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
step 2: Puree soup in a food processor or blender in batches. Return to pot.
step 3: Stir in half and half cream, soy sauce, and black and white pepper. Bring soup just to boil. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve hot.