Cream of Cauliflower Soup I Recipe
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (optional)
step 1: Steam cauliflower.
step 2: Melt the butter or margarine in a stockpot over medium high heat. Add leek, onion, and carrot; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in the tarragon and thyme; cook 1 minute longer. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium, and gradually stir in the wine and chicken stock. Season the soup with salt and white pepper. Add the steamed cauliflower flowerets. Simmer the soup, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
step 3: Puree the soup in batches in a blender, and return to the pot. Stir in the milk and cream. Gently heat just until heated through.
step 4: If you decide to use the Swiss cheese, stir it in and heat until melted.