Creole Onion Soup Recipe
- 1 (1 pound) loaf French bread
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole-style seasoning
- 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
step 1: Slice the bread in thick slices and place on the rack in the oven. Heat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Check bread periodically throughout following steps and remove from oven when golden.
step 2: In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion in butter, stirring, until golden, 15 minutes. Sprinkle flour, pepper, garlic powder and Creole seasoning over onion and continue to cook until flour is golden brown as well. Stir in spaghetti sauce and soy sauce, cook 1 minute more. Stir in beef broth and simmer 10 minutes, or until onions reach desired consistency.
step 3: Place slices of bread in ovenproof bowls and top with Swiss cheese. Ladle soup into bowls and top with Parmesan. Place in oven until Parmesan melts. Serve at once.