Creole Vegetables Recipe
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped fresh green beans
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, cut from the cob
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
step 1: In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until evenly brown. Set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon fat. Saute onion and green pepper in bacon fat until tender. Stir in tomatoes, green beans, salt, and pepper. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in corn, cover, and continue cooking until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
step 2: In a small bowl, mix together flour and water. Stir into vegetables, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in evaporated milk. Crumble bacon over top. Serve immediately.