Cry Babies I Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons water as needed
- 2 cups white sugar
step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
step 2: Dissolve the baking soda in the coffee.
step 3: Cream the shortening with the white sugar. Beat in the eggs, coffee mixture, molasses, vinegar, 1/2 cup of the cocoa powder, spices, and flour. Dough should be thick and slightly sticky. Drop rounded spoonfuls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet.
step 4: Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool, then glaze.
step 5: To Make Glaze: Combine the confectioner's sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, and enough water to achieve a desired spreading consistency. Beat until smooth.