Curried Lentil Soup Recipe
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green onions
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream (optional)
- Fresh cilantro sprigs or green onions (optional)
step 1: In a large saucepan combine the chicken broth, green onions, carrots, lentils, ginger, curry powder, cumin, and red pepper. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
step 2: Stir in the snipped cilantro; cook for 1 minute more. If desired, top each serving with sour cream and garnish with cilantro sprigs.