Di's Buffalo Wings Recipe
- 24 chicken drumettes
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups oil for frying
- ⅔ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian-style seasoning
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup hot pepper sauce
step 1: Place the chicken drumettes and buttermilk in a large bowl. Soak drumettes approximately 30 minutes.
step 2: Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
step 3: In a medium bowl, sift together flour and cornmeal. Mix in coarse salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian-style seasoning. Dip the drumettes in the flour mixture, then place in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, 12 to 13 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
step 4: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Blend in the hot pepper sauce. Remove from heat and use for dipping the fried drumettes.