Doug's Killer Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 onion, chopped, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
step 1: In a large stock pot over medium heat, brown the ground beef, pork and onion. Drain fat, and return to the heat.
step 2: Stir in the garlic, green and red pepper, mushrooms, and tomato sauce. Stir in basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes. Salt and pepper to taste.
step 3: Bring sauce to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for at least one hour; preferably all day.