Down South Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can mashed yams
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 (9 inch) deep-dish pie shells
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Lightly whipped cream (optional)
step 1: Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
step 2: Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in sugar. Reduce mixer speed and add eggs, one at a time. Beat in yams, evaporated milk, and pumpkin pie spice.
step 3: Pour filling into pie shells. Bake pies 30 to 35 minutes until edges puff, crust browns, and custard is set.
step 4: Meanwhile, mix the pecans, brown sugar, and butter. Set aside. Remove pies from oven. Sprinkle with pecan mixture and return to oven 7 to 10 minutes longer, until topping is golden brown and crisp. Cool pies on rack completely. Garnish with whipped cream.