Easy Chestnut Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 4 (7 ounce) cans whole chestnuts, drained
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery root, chopped
- 7 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream, for garnish (optional)
step 1: In a heavy skillet over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup of butter. Saute the chestnuts in butter until heated through; set aside.
step 2: Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter in a large pot, and stir in the carrot, parsnip, and celery root. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, chestnuts, and wine. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to simmer.
step 3: Simmer for 15 minutes; season with nutmeg, salt and pepper and fresh parsley. Puree the soup in a food processor or blender a little at a time, or use an immersion blender. Garnish each serving with sour cream, if desired, and a dash of cayenne pepper.