Easy Masoor Daal Recipe
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 slice ginger, 1 inch piece, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
step 1: Rinse lentils thoroughly and place in a medium saucepan along with ginger, turmeric, salt and cayenne pepper. Cover with about 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that forms on top of the lentils. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender and soupy.
step 2: Meanwhile, in a microwave safe dish combine oil, dried onion and cumin seeds. Microwave on high for 45 seconds to 1 minute; be sure to brown, but not burn, onions. Stir into lentil mixture.