Eggplant and Mushrooms with Wild Rice Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
step 1: Heat butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the eggplant, and fry until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove eggplant from the skillet, and keep warm.
step 2: Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet, and fry the onion and mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes. Return the eggplant to the pan, and season with garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook and stir for one minute to blend the flavors.
step 3: Stir in the chicken broth, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until most of the liquid is reduced or absorbed. Stir in cream of mushroom soup, half-and-half cream, and cooked wild rice. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if desired.