Egusi Soup Recipe
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded and minced
- 18 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound fresh spinach, washed and chopped
step 1: Place pumpkin seeds in a blender and blend for 30 to 40 seconds or until mixture is a powdery paste. Set aside.
step 2: Wash beef and cut into bite-size cubes. Season with salt. In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef and saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown but not cooked through.
step 3: Place tomatoes, onions, and pepper in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until smooth. Add tomato mixture to meat, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Cook for 40 to 50 minutes or until meat is tender.
step 4: Add tomato sauce, water, and shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes.
step 5: Add spinach and ground pumpkin seeds and continue to simmer 10 minutes more.