Favorite Pot Roast Recipe
- 4 pounds boneless rump roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water, divided
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 large carrots
- 1 pound small onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce (optional)
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
step 1: In a Dutch oven, brown the roast in oil.
step 2: Combine salt, pepper and thyme; sprinkle over meat. Add bay leaf and 2 cups of water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours.
step 3: Add potatoes, carrots and onions. Cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Remove the roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
step 4: Skim fat from pan juices; add water to measure 2 cups. Mix flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
step 5: Slice roast; serve with vegetables and gravy.