Fennel and Celery Root Casserole Recipe
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large celery root, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- shredded aged Colby or Cheddar Cheese
step 1: Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
step 2: Bring a large steamer pot of water to a boil. Place fennel, celery root, and onion slices in the steamer insert. Steam until tender, approximately 7 to 10 minutes.
step 3: Spread the steamed vegetables and apple slices evenly in the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour cream around the sides of the dish until the liquid reaches half-way to the top. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, and cover tightly with foil.
step 4: Bake in preheated oven until hot and bubbly and cheese has melted, approximately 40 minutes.