Fettuccine Alfredo with Peas and Prosciutto Recipe
- 3 1/2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 cups low-fat (1%) milk
- 3/4 pound dry fettuccine pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen petite peas
- 1 ounce thin-sliced prosciutto
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
step 1: In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine broth, milk, and fettuccine (break fettuccine if necessary to fit into pan); cover and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, stirring often to separate noodles, for 5 minutes. Add peas and stir occasionally until pasta is tender to bite, 2 to 4 minutes longer.
step 2: Meanwhile, separate prosciutto slices and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
step 3: In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Add to pasta mixture and stir until it boils and thickens. Add sour cream, parmesan cheese, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste; stir until well blended and heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in prosciutto. Spoon onto plates.