Fiesta Shrimp Appetizers Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen large shrimp in shells
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Anaheim pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Lettuce leaves (optional)
- 1 medium papaya and/or mango peeled, seeded, and sliced (optional)
step 1: Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp. In a medium saucepan bring 4 cups water to boiling. Add shrimp. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Rinse under cold running water; drain. Set aside.
step 2: In a heavy plastic bag set in a medium bowl combine garlic, lime peel, lime juice, olive oil, onion, anaheim pepper, cilantro or parsley, sugar, salt, and pepper; mix well. Place cooked shrimp in the bag; seal bag. Turn bag to coat shrimp with marinade mixture. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
step 3: To serve, drain the shrimp, discarding the marinade. If desired, line a large platter with lettuce leaves and arrange papaya or mango slices around outer edge. Place shrimp in center of platter.