Filet with a Merlot Sauce Recipe
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle Merlot wine
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 (6 ounce) fillets beef tenderloin
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
step 1: In a heavy sauce pan over high heat, combine wine, chicken broth and beef broth. Bring to a boil, and cook until mixture is reduced to 2 cups, about an hour. (This can be prepared a day ahead - cover and refrigerate).
step 2: In a small bowl, mix butter and flour. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper, and saute until medium-rare, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to a plate.
step 3: Stir shallots, garlic and thyme into skillet. Add 2 cups reduced wine mixture to skillet. Bring mixture to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Whisk in butter mixture until smooth. Boil sauce until thick enough to coat a spoon, about 2 to 3 minutes.