Flower Garden Cake Recipe
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup orange juice, divided
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups white sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 (10 inch) angel food cake, cut in cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- ½ cup maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
step 1: Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup orange juice and let stand. Oil a 10 inch tube pan.
step 2: Beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar. Beat in lemon juice and remaining 1/2 cup orange juice. Transfer to a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin mixture.
step 3: Beat the egg whites with 3/4 cup sugar until stiff. Fold hot custard into egg whites. Fold in cake pieces and pineapple. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Place cherry halves with a spoon throughout the mixture. Chill in refrigerator overnight.
step 4: In a chilled bowl, whip cream, green food coloring and 2 tablespoons sugar with an electric mixer until stiff. Serve unmolded dessert with whipped cream.