French Onion Soup IX Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds yellow onions, halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef consomme
- ¼ cup grated Romano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices French bread, toasted
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
step 1: In a large pot over low heat, melt butter. Cook onions in butter until soft and golden brown, 15 to 30 minutes.
step 2: Pour in beef broth and consomme and simmer 10 minutes.
step 3: Preheat oven broiler.
step 4: Whisk Romano into soup and season with salt and pepper. Pour soup into 8 ovenproof bowls. Top with toasted slices of bread and grated Gruyere.
step 5: Place bowls under broiler until cheese melts.