Fresh Cranberry Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup margarine
step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray or grease a 12 cup and 6 cup muffin tin.
step 2: Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, orange peel, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger.
step 3: Cut in shortening; stir in juice, vanilla, eggs, cranberries and nuts. Pour into muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes or until brown.
step 4: Prepare the topping in a saucepan over low heat by whisking together the cranberry sauce, brown sugar and margarine. Cook until heated and smooth. Remove from heat and serve as a spread for the muffins.