Fresh Seafood Stew Recipe
- 3 pounds clams in shell, scrubbed
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomato
- 1 pound red snapper fillets, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
step 1: Discard any broken-shell or open (dead) clams. Place remaining clams in large container. Cover with 6 cups water and vinegar; let stand 30 minutes; drain. In a saucepan bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
step 2: Cook onion, broth, wine, tomato paste, oregano, fennel seed, saffron, red pepper and tomatoes in Dutch oven over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
step 3: Stir in clams and fish. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Stir in rice. Cover and cook about 3 minutes, removing clams as they open, until all clams have opened. Discard any unopened clams. Return clams to stew. Mix parsley and lemon peel; sprinkle over stew.