Funeral Pie Recipe
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Line a pan with half the pastry and chill.
step 2: Place the raisins and 2/3 cup of the water in a saucepan and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes.
step 3: Combine the sugars, cornstarch, spices, and salt in a bowl and, mixing all the time, slowly add the remaining water. Add this mixture to the heating raisins. Cook and stir until the mixture starts to bubble. Add the vinegar and butter and heat until the butter is melted. Cool until room temperature.
step 4: Pour into the prepared shell and top with the second crust. Bake 25 minutes or until golden. Cool completely before serving.