Garithes Yiouvetsi Recipe
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups chopped, peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds large uncooked shrimp, peeled
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
step 1: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion in oil until transparent. Stir in green onions and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 more minutes. Stir in tomatoes, wine, most of the parsley, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover, and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
step 2: Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
step 3: Spread half the sauce on the bottom of a large oven dish. Arrange shrimp evenly over sauce, and pour the remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
step 4: Cook in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until shrimp are pink and the feta is melted and lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining parsley, and serve immediately.