Gizzards and Rice Recipe
- 1 pound chicken gizzards
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (14.25 ounce) can fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
step 1: Place chicken gizzards in a large saucepan, and add enough water to cover them. Cover, and bring to a boil. Boil over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving the water, and chop into bite size pieces. Cook rice according to package directions using gizzard water.
step 2: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms until onion is tender. Add gizzards, and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, onion soup mix, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, and cook until reduced by 1/2, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in rice, heat through and serve. Season with salt and pepper to taste.