Gnocchi in Fontina Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound refrigerated gnocchi
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 8 ounces Italian fontina cheese, cubed
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
step 1: Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
step 2: Once the gnocchi goes into the pot, start the sauce, as you want the gnocchi to be done first. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, and cook for a few minutes, until tender. Stir in the cream, and heat to almost a boil. Gradually mix in the fontina and parmesan cheeses, being careful not to boil. Stir until smooth, then remove from the heat immediately, or the sauce may clump.
step 3: Place gnocchi into serving dishes, and spoon the sauce over them. Garnish with chopped fresh basil.