Grandma Ruth's Stuffing Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) loaf French or Italian bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) package herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
step 1: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the mushrooms, celery, and onions until softened.
step 2: Dampen the fresh bread cubes (not the stuffing mix), then squeeze out any excess water.
step 3: In a large bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, bread cubes, stuffing mix, eggs, and 1 can chicken broth. Season with sage, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and mix well. The stuffing should have a rather paste-like consistency. Mix in additional chicken broth as necessary.
step 4: Loosely pack stuffing inside turkey cavity before roasting.