Grandma Slattery's Michigan Sauce Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon prepared mustard
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
step 1: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion in butter until soft. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Stir to blend.
step 2: When the mixture begins to simmer, add the raw ground beef breaking it into pieces with a wooden spoon. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve over steamed hot dogs. Of course you can add some raw onions if you want.