Greek Steffotto Recipe
- 2 pounds lean beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
step 1: Brown the chuck in a large pan.
step 2: Add mushrooms and onions to meat, and cook until soft. Transfer to an oven proof pan.
step 3: Mix together tomato paste, wine vinegar, and brown sugar. Pour this mixture over the meat and vegetables. Add cinnamon sticks, sprinkle of whole cloves, and salt and pepper to taste. Dilute with water to cover all.
step 4: Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for at least 2 to 2 1/2 hours.