Green Tomato Pickles Recipe
- 1 gallon green tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
step 1: In a large ceramic bowl or crock, combine green tomatoes and onions. Sprinkle with salt. Refrigerate overnight.
step 2: Pour cold water over tomatoes and onions, and let stand for 1 hour. Place peppercorns, cloves, allspice berries, mustard seeds, and ground mustard in a small cheesecloth bag.
step 3: Drain tomatoes and onions.
step 4: In a large pot, stir together vinegar and sugar, and then add the tomatoes and onions, the cheesecloth bag with spices, the sliced lemon, and minced red pepper. Bring to a low boil, and then simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Check frequently; you may need to pull the pot off of the heat occasionally to prevent scorching. Discard spice bag.
step 5: Fill sterilized jars with tomato mixture, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Garnish with thin strips of red pepper arrange vertically along the sides of the jars. Screw on lids, and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Remove jars and let jars cool completely. Refrigerate any that haven't sealed completely. Store sealed jars in a cool dark place.