Grenadian Spice Cake Recipe
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter - chilled, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
step 2: In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the lime zest, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk, stirring after each addition. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
step 3: Bake for 75 to 90 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.