Grilled Beef Fajitas with Green Yogurt Sauce Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups DANNON® Plain Yogurt
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1/4 cup for brushing vegetables
- 1 tablespoon pepper sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot®)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, a few sprigs
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak or flank steak
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 red or green bell peppers, halved and seeds removed
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, Maui or Texas Sweet
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 (12 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 yellow, orange or red vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
step 1: Preheat a grill pan or electric grill to high heat or prepare outdoor grill. Combine the juice of 1 1/2 limes (reserving 1/2 lime) with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (eyeball the amount), cayenne pepper sauce and chopped thyme leaves in a shallow dish. Coat beef in the lime oil.
step 2: Grill beef 6 or 7 minutes on each side. Baste pepper halves with a little oil and set on grill. Cut onion into 4 or 5 thick slices, cutting across the onion. Remove outer ring of the sliced onion, discarding the skin. Baste onion with oil and place on grill. Season beef and vegetables with salt and pepper. Peppers and onions will grill in about 10 minutes. They should be charred at edges, but still have a bite to them.
step 3: In a food processor, combine yogurt, the juice of reserved 1/2 lime, the jalapeno pepper, cilantro leaves and salt. Process the ingredients into a smooth, green sauce.
step 4: Once you remove beef and vegetables from the grill, char and warm tortillas. Slice cooked beef on an angle and transfer to a serving plate. Slice peppers into strips and cut onion rings in half. Transfer cut veggies to platter. To assemble, pile beef, pepper strips and onions into tortillas and top with chopped tomatoes and lots of Dannon yogurt green sauce.