Grilled Turkey with Molasses BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 4 tablespoons Wesson® Pure Vegetable Oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup Hunt's® Ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper, pureed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Gulden's® Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes
- 12 pounds Butterball® Whole Turkey, thawed
step 1: To prepare sauce, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook 1 minute. Add ancho chile powder and cayenne pepper and cook 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients (except turkey) and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook mixture until reduced by half and thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool before using.
step 2: To make grilled turkey: Prepare outdoor grill for cooking.
step 3: Prepare turkey. Remove giblets and neck from neck and body cavities, rinse and pat turkey dry with paper towels. Turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Return legs to the tucked position, if untucked. Brush turkey, including back side, with vegetable oil.
step 4: Place turkey, breast up, on cook grate over drip pan. Cover grill and cook turkey to an internal thigh temperature of 180 degrees and breast temperature of 170 degrees on a meat thermometer, about 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours. About a half hour before turkey is done, place 1 cup of the sauce in a separate dish and generously brush on turkey. Reserve the remaining sauce.
step 5: When turkey is done, remove from grill and let stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve with the reserved molasses BBQ sauce.