Gumdrop Squares Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon oil
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 3 drops yellow food coloring
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 3/4 cup white sugar for decoration
step 1: Sprinkle gelatin over cold water and set aside.
step 2: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil. Stir in 2 cups sugar and boil 5 minutes. Stir in gelatin mixture. Allow to boil gently for 15 minutes.
step 3: Dip three shallow, small pans in cold water, then remove. Remove boiling mixture from heat, and divide evenly among three heat-proof bowls. Flavor one bowl with peppermint, one with lemon, and one with cinnamon. Tint the peppermint green, the lemon yellow, and the cinnamon red. Pour each mixture into its own pan and let rest overnight to set.
step 4: Turn gumdrops out onto a sugared board and cut into squares with a sharp knife. Roll cut gumdrops in sugar. Let stand until firm.