Harvest Apple Pie with Hazelnut Streusel Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/4 cup rum or orange juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (see notes below)
- 1 purchased refrigerated pastry for a 9-inch single-crust pie (half of a 15-oz. package), at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter or margarine, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
step 1: In a bowl, mix apricots, cherries, and rum; let stand until fruit is slightly softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
step 2: Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix granulated sugar, cornstarch, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, and apples. Stir in dried-fruit mixture.
step 3: Ease pastry gently into a 9-inch pie pan, fold edge under itself flush with rim, and flute decoratively. Mound apple mixture in crust.
step 4: In a food processor or a bowl, whirl or stir 1 cup flour and the brown sugar until well blended. Add butter and whirl or rub in with your fingers until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts and whirl until coarsely chopped, or chop nuts with a knife and stir into flour mixture. Squeeze handfuls of the streusel until it sticks together, then crumble into chunks evenly over apple mixture. Set pie on a foil-lined rimmed baking pan.
step 5: Bake on the bottom rack of a 350 degree regular or convection oven until filling is bubbling around the edges, about 1 1/4 hours. If pie becomes brown too quickly, cover the dark portions loosely with foil. Cool on a rack at least 1 1/2 hours.