Hearty Party Pozole Recipe
- 1 pound lean boneless pork loin, diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 (15.5 ounce) cans white hominy (mote blanco), drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- Finely-sliced scallions or green onions (for garnish)
step 1: Season pork with pepper.
step 2: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan (4 quart) over high heat. Add pork to pot and cook, stirring until no longer pink (about 5 minutes). Transfer meat to a clean plate.
step 3: Reduce heat to medium, add remaining tablespoon oil, the onion and garlic and cook, stirring until softened and golden (about 5 minutes).
step 4: Stir in chili powder and cumin and cook for one minute. Add hominy, tomato, chicken broth and green chiles and bring to a boil.
step 5: Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to develop flavors. Stir in reserved pork, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook one minute longer. For a garnish, serve with finely-sliced scallions.