Hog's Head Cheese Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and cubed
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 3 cups water or pork stock
- 3 (.25 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
step 1: Heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the pork roast, and brown on all sides. Reduce heat to medium, and add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Season with garlic, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning. Pour in 3 cups of water or pork stock, and bring to a boil.
step 2: Cover, and simmer over medium heat for 2 hours, stirring vigorously every 15 minutes. When the pork is ready, it should be completely shredded and reduced to a stringy consistency.
step 3: Dissolve the gelatin in 1 cup of boiling water, then stir into the pork mixture very well. Pour into a mold or casserole dish, and chill until set, about 8 hours.
step 4: To unmold, dip the bottom of the mold in hot tap water for about 1 minute, then invert onto a serving tray. Serve with your favorite crackers.