Hot Hunan Hoagies Recipe
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut 1 inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 8 Hoagie rolls
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
step 1: Place beef steak in a plastic bag. Combine garlic, sherry, soy sauce, oil and ginger; reserve 1/4 cup. Pour remaining marinade over the steak. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 4 to 8 hours, turning at least once.
step 2: Meanwhile prepare Relish: Combine vegetable oil, sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and hot pepper sauce. Add green onions, mushrooms and bell peppers. Let stand for 30 minutes.
step 3: Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on rack in broiler pan so surface of meat is 4 inches from heat. Broil for 15-18 minutes, turning once and basting with reserved marinade. Let stand for 5 minutes.
step 4: Meanwhile split hoagie rolls and toast under the broiler. Carve steak diagonally across the grain in two slices. Place beef in hoagie rolls. Top with relish and serve.