Hot Tomato Grits Recipe
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Garnishes: chopped tomato, cooked and crumbled bacon, shredded Cheddar cheese
step 1: COOK bacon in a heavy saucepan until crisp, reserving drippings in pan. Gradually add broth and salt; bring to a boil.
step 2: STIR in grits, tomato, and chiles; return to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes.
step 3: STIR in cheese; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish, if desired.