Hot and Sour Soup with Tofu Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 ounces frozen snow peas
- 1 (8 ounce) package firm tofu, cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
step 1: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the red bell pepper and green onions and saute for 5 minutes. Then, add the 2 cups water, broth and soy sauce, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes.
step 2: In a separate medium bowl, combine the vinegar, red pepper flakes, ground black pepper, cornstarch, 3 tablespoons water and sesame oil. Add this to the soup and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes, or until soup becomes thick and bubbly.
step 3: Finally, mix in the tofu, snow peas and water chestnuts, and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until heated through.