Israeli Moroccan Couscous Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 turnips, peeled and julienned
- 1 sweet potato, julienned
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pinch curry powder
- 2 cups uncooked couscous
step 1: Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; saute onion until golden. Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Stir in carrots, turnips and sweet potato. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes.
step 2: Reduce heat to low and add zucchini and red bell pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
step 3: Stir in garbanzo beans, tomato sauce, cinnamon, turmeric, saffron and curry powder. Simmer until heated through.
step 4: Meanwhile, bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 to 7 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve with vegetables on top.