Italian Country Bread Soup Recipe
- 8 ounces Italian flat bread (focaccia), cut into 3/4-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups chopped zucchini and/or yellow summer squash
- 3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic, undrained
- finely shredded Parmesan cheese
step 1: Spread bread cubes in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly toasted.
step 2: Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook zucchini or yellow squash, sweet pepper, and onion in hot oil for 5 minutes. Stir in stock or broth and undrained tomatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
step 3: Ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with toasted bread cubes and, if desired, Parmesan cheese.