Italian Wedding Cookies II Recipe
- 8 ounces almond paste
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 drops green food coloring
- 5 drops yellow food coloring
- 5 drops red food coloring
- 1 (12 ounce) jar seedless raspberry jam, heated
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips, melted
step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
step 2: Break almond paste into a large bowl, and beat in butter, sugar, eggs, and almond extract until light and fluffy. Beat in the flour and salt. Split batter into three equal portions, mixing one portion with green food coloring, one with yellow, and one with red. Spread each portion out to 1/4 inch thickness into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch baking pan.
step 3: Bake each layer for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
step 4: On a cookie sheet or cutting board, stack the cakes, spreading tops of the first two layers with raspberry jam. Spread melted chocolate over top of the third layer. Chill in the refrigerator 1 hour, or until jam and chocolate are firm. Slice into small rectangles to serve.