Jean's Swedish Faux Meatballs Recipe
- 3 slices bread, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 (12 ounce) packages frozen burger-style crumbles
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
step 1: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
step 2: In a large bowl combine bread crumbs, onion, pepper, nutmeg and milk. Stir in burger-style crumbles until well blended. Form into 1 1/2 balls.
step 3: In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the 'meat' balls in butter. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a 2 quart casserole dish.
step 4: Whisk flour into drippings in skillet; cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and cream and continue cooking, stirring, until sauce thickens and boils, about 1 minute. Pour over 'meat' balls .
step 5: Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.