Lemon Poppy Seed Slices Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
step 1: In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, milk, lemon peel and extracts. Add flour and poppy seeds; mix well. Shape into two 8-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
step 2: Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
step 3: Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.